Blog response to continuity and dialogue topic and clips
Now that I have a background in Premiere and using a video camera, paying close attention to clips like these are very interesting to me. Paying attention to things like continuity editing in the Radiohead video will help me for scenes like the character entering a door in Exercise 2. The Radiohead guy entering different doors or turning each staircase showed me how important the timing of the cuts between separate shots need to be for a fluid continuity to be portrayed in film. Contrasting to this, the Monty Python clip of the knight running across the field goes against fluid continuity for a humorous effect, so it really shows how the "rules" of film can be manipulated for artistic effects which I found really interesting. Analyzing the Coffee and Cigarettes video also gave me some good ideas for Exercise 2 such as "B-roll" as Joe mentioned in class. For example I found the birds eye shot of the characters moving their coffee cups to be a cool angle. This shot brought up continuity again, as the motion of the characters in the birds eye shot need to match up with the previous and future shot. B-roll doesn't always need to include character movement though, maybe I could have character 1 talk to character 2 about the location and while they are talking about the location I could have B-roll of the location itself. In terms of filming dialogue for Exercise 2, the breakdown of the reverse shot on YouTube gave me some great ideas. I could film shots in between each character conversing, or behind each character conversing almost like the viewer is spying on them. Overall these clips have taught me a lot of different shot effects I can have on my viewer and have prepared me to make a video for Exercise 2 that has a logical flow to it.
Strong application of our assignment topics to the clips, especially in regards to the technical side of shooting (coverage of the environment and characters) and editing (finding just the right frames to cut between to achieve fluidity). Good to see that you're connecting the resources to your own work! I'd like to hear more about the contrasting approaches as well, perhaps bringing more of the clips into your response. It's true that the rules may be followed (Radiohead music video) or broken (Monty Python) to varying effects, and I wonder what other contrasts you might have found in the screening. Looking forward to seeing the project come together!
ReplyDelete