Response To Continuity & Dialogue
Hi Everyone!
During the wathcing of these film clips I had a lot of fun learning more about the importance of camera angles and how they can truly alter a scene to create different feelings and tones. It was interesting to rewatch the endless watching running scene from "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" with a more cineamagraphic lense; typically when we think of comedy its depicted through the dialogue of the actors or there actions, so with that being said it can be easy to forget that the editing of a video can create comedic moments as well and the endless running scene was a perfect depiction if that. One of the clips that I found most helpful to me was the breakdown of the Coen brothers reverse shot technique, I think that when I start filming I'll try use that because it definitely creates nice individual moments between two characters within a scene. I also enjoyed Jim Jarmusch's Coffee and Cigarettes (mostly because I already love Jim Jarmusch) because he combines more artistic aspects in the way he directs along with creating the feeling that your apart of the conversation, not nescerarily in it, but that your there within there space watching these two people have a conversation as if it was any other day.
It seems that the most important revelation in your response the clips is the notion that editing—not just dialogue or an actor's choices—has a big hand in establishing tone in a piece, whether comedic, experimental, suspenseful, etc. I would recommend applying this analytical lens to lots of other pieces of media that you watch. Take another look at your favorite comedy show, for instance, and try to analyze it for framing, timing, and sequencing of shots; and see how the post-production process creates a kind of environment for the actors and the narrative to be portrayed within. I'm glad to hear that shot/reverse shot has given you a starting point in organizing your own project; and that Jarmusch's aloof distancing has a way of charming us right into the dialogue. Good observations!
ReplyDelete