Abstraction (Kris Fulk)
My favorite of all of these pieces was by far Pipilitti’s work. I love how Pipilotti Rist uses her camera work to “reverse the hierarchy between the object and the subject” and how she sees similarities between machine errors, and the inner pictures of the human mind when we are overworked. She encourages her “fellow humans” to embrace our imperfections and not be ashamed of them.
I think that the “Dynamic Frame” is a very interesting technique, one that, when used correctly, could create a lot more life and emotion to a film. However, I personally don’t think I would ever use it, just because creating super dramatic scenes isn’t really my style. I kind of like the simplicity of a constant shape of the frame.
Peter Mack also had some very interesting work that caught my eye. I liked the distortions and abstractions of not only the sound, but also of these human-shaped figures. They also look like they were hand-drawn animations, which is a LOT of work and the attention to detail is amazing.
It's good to hear what stood out to you, Kris. I think a bit more engagement in the kinds of examples and processes that were more challenging to you, or perhaps you didn't care for, might open up more doors for you and flesh out your arguments. When we force ourselves to tease out connections between disparate references—for instance, the ways in which Fischinger's animation experiments from a century ago relate to Mack's current explorations of stop-motion animation; the ways in which Rist's flowing, ephemeral video material is informed by Brakhage's more aggressive process—and focus less on our taste, we tend to make new avenues in our creative brains. It sounds like Rist might be a strong reference for you, consider how her work might figure into yours!
ReplyDelete