continuity and dialogue

 These clips were super helpful to me. I loved how just the slightest changes to the direction/position of the camera made a completely different mood. 

The "Endless running" clip was both funny and suspenseful due to the intentional lack of both continuity and dialogue. The sudden transition from dancing music to action music also adds some silliness to it.

The "Daydreaming" clip was very inspiring for me, probably one of the coolest music videos I've seen. It's both satisfyingly simple and clean and also super complex and perplexing. It boggles my mind to think about how many shots they had to retake in order to get those seamless transitions, it's absolutely amazing. The illusion of continuity in this clip makes it so fun, as the man walks through one door and seems to teleport into a completely different place (or maybe it's just a very very strange building from another dimension, I guess we'll never know for sure.) The music is also very good.

As for the "Coffee and Cabarets" clip, I think the excessively long intro-credits were quite suspenseful, however I did enjoy the music. I also like how funny this clip is, even though it's just "coffee and cigarettes" between two very uncomfortable "friends"(at least, I think they were friends..) I'm not sure how they did it, but Roberto puts a crazy amount of sugar into his five cups of coffee, and somehow they never get any more full, or any less full after he drinks from them. Seems like a lack of continuity to me, but it makes it more funny, so it works. The dialogue between Steve and Roberto is also very funny. They clearly have some kind of trouble understanding each other. They chat about random things that never failed to make me laugh. The only real complaint I have is that we didn't get to see Roberto's reaction when he realizes what he got himself into by offering to take Steve's dentist appointment. That would have been really fun to see.

Comments

  1. Nice observations, particularly in regards to the process of making the Daydreaming music video. I agree, it's enlightening to imagine how many takes and careful angles must have gone into the shooting to make sure there was a seamless transition for each location. It sounds like this analysis has brought up some applicable reference points for you in regards to the Doppelgänger project, and in future posts it would be helpful to hear in what ways the references might apply. In addition, try to weave more of the references into your response so that you're integrating some from the asynchronous screening as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment