Final Project Outline

For me, the definition of transformation that immediately comes to mind is a change that evolves a person into someone completely new. Because my definition is deeply interconnected to a person and their body, I plan on using significant symbols of the human body to communicate transformation. The first is the heart, which to me symbolizes self in its naturalist form. The heart of a person is at the centermost part of the body. It is housed deep in the center of the body that it is a sense buried within. The second symbol hands, which is easily seen by everyone. Hands often act as a vehicle for people’s exterior feelings and responses. They follow a person’s thoughts and sometimes almost mindlessly replicate those thoughts. With this in mind, hands can be seen as the exterior heart. I plan to show a nondescript narrative solely through hands, with the final scene being hand burying a heart in the ground. The collection of shots that I plan on making are: hands moving in speech in a variety of compositions, hands holding various objects, hands tearing at or fiddling with paper or hair to convey distress, and possibly if I don’t end up feeling like it's too creepy, recording out of the window my neighbor’s hands walking down the block. These shots I plan on putting together similarly as I did for my abstract piece. The final shot, I plan on making in the first person of digging hands. The hands will move off-screen in the act of tearing out their heart, then coming back on screen holding something red (probably fabric) and covering it up. The last image will be of the covered earth.

Comments

  1. It's interesting to hear an idea that feels like a combination of our structural tactics: narrative and non-narrative. You will be participating in a very abstract, metaphoric, and expressive process in gathering, shooting, and sequencing your images, yet there seems to be a narrative thread throughout the piece, more so than in your Abstraction. This sounds like a wonderful challenge. I strongly encourage you to consider the role of sound in this piece as you experiment with structural and sequence options. Sound does not have to be complicated or tedious to carry a lot of important conceptual weight for the viewer. We didn't talk much about sound in our non-narrative project because you were free to use a song, but now consider the ways in which sound might subtly push the viewer in the right directions, and indicate certain feelings or narrative elements. Hearing the vague sound of dirt being shoveled, shuffling paper, shoes scuffing along a sidewalk—little sound hints can be very powerful to the psychology of your viewer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment